How will you give this holiday season?
What a year! I hope that you have many things to be thankful for. I hope that you can spend time with your loved ones. I hope that you have all the necessities you need. I hope that you are happy.
It is the season to be grateful and to be giving. Traditionally, your plans will contain gifts for your family and friends. If you are able, this season consider giving some hope to others. It can be large or small, let’s lift our communities and spread some happiness. I hope you consider participating in one or more of the following giving ideas. It may bring you joy as well.
You can start big or small. If you haven’t participated in Giving Tuesday, you can start this year. Giving Tuesday was first observed in 2012 as a day to pause from all the holiday madness and give to those in need. This year, it is observed on Tuesday, November 30. Check it off your list of good deeds by giving to your favorite non-profit. Here are some ideas; there are no wrong answers.
1. Food Aid – nearly 14 million American households experienced food insecurity in 2020. Here are ways to fight hunger in our communities.
- North Tahoe-Truckee Homeless Services
- No Kid Hungry
- Sierra Senior Services (locals Meals on Wheels)
- Sierra Relief Kitchen
2. Children in Education – after late summer and early fall, we may forget that school supplies are often an ongoing need. Students use paper, pens, and backpacks throughout the year, and they often need to be replaced.
3. Medical Supplies – while the pandemic is lessening, everything remains influx with medical supplies and first aid equipment always in demand.
4. Animal Rescue – animal lovers take this chance to help furry friends.
5. Tahoe Truckee Giving